Wow, what an awesome weekend! Thanks to everyone who contributed to an amazing time in Christchurch. The pitches on Sunday night were fantastic and always illustrate how much you can get done in a weekend when you are focused on a result.
Here are the Startup Weekend Christchurch winners:
For busy people who want to delegate tasks, Tsk is a marketplace of people with time and skills who can perform tasks for each other for money.
A non-intrusive risk-monitoring app allowing parents to keep tabs on their children’s location and safety, taking their social context into account.
The Media Mansion
Legitimizing downloads. Distributes free and legal music downloads, merchandise, event promotion and tickets. Initially locally-based (indie music) and 100% free for users and artists.
Thanks to our fantastic sponsors, the winning team receive:
- $1000 worth of MYOB solutions, and profiled on a regular basis in MYOB client communications
- powerHouse are providing 1 hour mentoring per month for 4 months
- Two, one hour, 1-on-1 planning workshops (via Skype) with Derek Handley
- HyperStart/Webfund are providing an initial $1,000 to the company’s bank account once they have registered with the Companies Office
The second place team will receive from Accelerate Business:
- 2 hour business plan workshop to define essential input information
- 1 hour follow up meeting to review written business plan
- Arrange introduction meetings with 5 relevant potential Customers
- 1 hour Pitching Presentation and Practice Session
- Arrange introduction meetings with 3 relevant investors
Thanks again to all our sponsors, mentors and participants who helped us make it happen.
We look forward to watching the progress of all the startups that came out of the weekend and see you at the next Startup Weekend.
The order of the pitches on Sunday night will be the same as the practice pitches this morning:
Dealfreak 5:10 PM
GetItFixed 5:20 PM
Tsk 5:30 PM
Anticounter 5:40 PM
IQnGo 5:50 PM
InstaBeer 6:00 PM
Music Mansion 6:10 PM
LoVo 6:20 PM
BuyNow 6:30 PM
Keeping Tabs 6:40 PM
Keep it tight and on message, oh, and have fun
Here are the team times for practice pitches and audio visual checks on Sunday morning:
Dealfreak 10:00 am
GetItFixed 10:10 am
Bank Boss 10:40 am
InstaBeer 10:50 am
Music Mansion 11:00 am
LoVo 11:10 am
Buy Now 11:20 am
Keeping Tabs 11:30 am
Five minute pitch and a quick audio visual check to make sure your laptop and demo will work with the projector.
This morning marks the return of our hard working entrepreneurs in Christchurch.
Last night we had another crazy start to the weekend, with the pitching and culling of ideas, followed by the forming of teams and “the sit down”.
The focus for teams last night was to get-on-the-same-page. That means that they needed to get familiar with each other and the “problem” that pulled them together in the first place.
After a good night’s rest (yea right) you can bet that their brains have been firing with ideas to solve the problems they are approaching. And that is the focus for this morning…
Teams should be refocusing now, bringing forth any new ideas or thoughts since last night and putting together a tight plan for the rest of the weekend — which should include:
(1) Identifying who has the problem and how to identify those people in the future [CUSTOMER]
(2) Validating the problem with the customer which involves talking to people and “getting out of the building”. [PROBLEM VALIDATION]
(3) Once teams have validated their problem and are gaining some insight into their customer, they can start thinking about designing a solution. [SOLUTION BRAINSTORM]
(4) This is where things can start heating up because “my idea is better than yours” and teams need to focus on designing tests to prove which solution is best in the least amount of effort — and not on egos. This prototype or ‘test’ is called a Minimum Viable Product, so make it MINIMUM!! [MVP]
(5) With an MVP, teams can collect information that supports or invalidates their major assumptions. If they made a major assumption, which turned out to be incorrect, they now have the opportunity to ‘pivot’ and find a workable solution. The goal of e MVP is to learn and adapt as quickly as possible. [IN/VALIDATE ASSUMPTIONS]
Here are some extra resources that can be used this weekend:
[free stuff] http://startupweekend.org/resources/
Brand new resources from Steve Blank, watch this stuff!
Part 1 https://vimeo.com/37359240
Part 2 https://vimeo.com/37366932
Part 3 https://vimeo.com/37366033
Part 4 https://vimeo.com/37366033
What does a winning pitch look like?
See All Articles
Come down and listen to Start-Up Global CEO and entrepreneur Marc Nager along with Mark Rocket and Anya Hornsey on important things to consider when you are starting up your venture on Thursday (23rd) at 6:00 p.m. – opening night of StartUp Christchurch!
Location & Registration